ION Geophysical Corporation and its affiliated entities (collectively, “ION” / “we” / “us” / “our”) are committed to protecting your privacy. ION is a global supplier of acquisition equipment, software, planning and seismic processing services, and seismic data libraries to the oil and gas industry. This notice explains the steps we take to protect your personal data in connection with you visiting our websites and other interactions between you and us where we collect your personal data and refer to this statement. It describes what categories of personal data we collect, the purposes for which we use the data, your choices regarding use of your data, our security measures, and how you can review and correct your data. By accessing our website, you consent to the data collection and use practices described in this notice.
We review our privacy practices on an ongoing basis, and as such we may change this privacy notice from time to time. If such change includes any significant, material changes, we will provide clear notice of the update on the homepage of our website. Please check this notice frequently to ensure that you are familiar with its current content.
If you are located in the EU, the data controller (as defined under EU data protection law) will be the relevant ION entity that you engage with.
If you would like additional information on anything in or related to this privacy notice, or you would like to exercise any rights that you may have in relation to your personal data, please contact us at
ION Geophysical Corporation
Attn: Customer Relations
2105 CityWest Blvd, Suite 400
Houston, TX 77042
What Personal Data May We Process?
The types of personal data relating to you that we may “process” (such as collect, use and store) depends on your interaction with us. The key types of personal data that we may process are set out below.
Personal data that you give us
|Activity||Types of personal data that we may process||Our legal bases for processing|
|Your general use of our website||
|Your communications with us as a potential or current customer or other business partner||
|Your communications with us as a shareholder and your engagement with us through webcasts, email alerts and other means||
|Your application for a job, internship, consulting position, or other role at ION||
If you are a current employee, intern consultant or other service provider, please refer to our separate “Personnel Privacy Notice,” which governs your privacy rights in such capacity and will be made available to you upon request.
Information that we may collect automatically
We collect certain data about all visitors to our website, including what pages they view, the number of bytes transferred, the links they click, and other actions taken within our site. If you log-on to our site or to any pages in our site, we may connect this information with your identity to determine your potential interests in our products and services. We may also use this information to improve our security measures. We also collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every website you visit, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and capabilities and language, your operating system, the date and time you access the site, and the website from which you linked to our site. We do not link these data to your identity.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. You can also choose to decline certain types of cookies on our Website by unselecting the applicable checkbox in our cookie banner. If you choose not to accept cookies, you may not be able to experience all of the features of our Website. Internet browsers also enable you to delete existing cookies, although this means that your existing settings (including stored user IDs and other preferences) will be lost.
Our site also may contain electronic images known as web beacons – sometimes called single-pixel gifs – that allow us to count the number of users who have visited those pages. We may include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon (including whether the recipient clicked on a link in the email or forwarded the email to another person).
Children’s information and sensitive information
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we are made aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete it as soon as practicable.
Unless we specifically request or invite it, we ask that you not send or disclose to us any sensitive personal information (e.g., National Insurance or Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or philosophical beliefs, health, sex life or sexual orientation, criminal background, trade union membership, or biometric or genetic data for the purpose of uniquely identifying an individual).
How DO We Process Your Personal Data?
We may process your personal data in the following ways (depending upon your interaction with us):
- collecting your personal data that you input on our website, or provide to us in conversations, emails, or meetings with us;
- recording your personal data, such as through electronic or handwritten notes that we make;
- organizing and storing your personal data on our servers, in our document management system, in our employee’s email inbox folders, or in hard copy files;
- using your personal data to communicate with you and perform analytics that are necessary or useful in connection with your relationship with us as a current or prospective customer, investor, employee or business partner; and
- disclosing your personal data to third parties, where necessary, appropriate and/or as required by law (see section 6 providing more information on this below).
We may process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to deliver services or execute transactions you request, such as providing information about our products and services, processing orders, answering customer service requests, facilitating the use of our website and similar purposes;
- to respond to your questions, comments, complaints, or requests;
- to improve our website (including our security measures) and related products or services, including by making our website easier for you to use and personalizing our website to suit your interests and preferences;
- to inform you of products or services available from us (though any such marketing efforts will comply with applicable laws);
- to follow up with you on a job application;
- to further our business purposes, such as (i) to perform due diligence, data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring, and prevention; (ii) to enhance, improve, or modify our website or services; (iii) to identify trends; and (iv) to operate and expand our investment and business activities.
We do not use any personal data provided by you for the purpose of automated decision-making.
HOW WILL WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We have implemented security policies and other technical and organizational measures to protect the personal data that we collect, consistent with applicable privacy and security laws. These security measures are designed to prevent unauthorized access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorized modification, and unlawful destruction or accidental loss of your personal data.
We update and test our personal data privacy and security measures on an ongoing basis. We also provide guidance to our employees on privacy laws and how to comply with them, and have disciplinary procedures in place that may be imposed on employees if they do not comply with our standards. We use technical and organizational measures to limit access to your personal data to only employees who need to know your personal data to fulfill the purposes of processing that personal data (as described in this privacy notice) have access to it.
We also require that any third parties that process your personal data on our behalf agree to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal data.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected security breach that involves your personal data and will notify you and the applicable regulator of a suspected breach where legally required to do so.
With Whom May We Share Your Personal Data?
We take your privacy seriously and will not share your personal data with others, except in the following circumstances:
Service providers: we may disclose your personal data to third-party service providers to provide us with services such as website hosting and professional services, including information technology services, payroll services, accounting and auditing services, consultancy services, regulatory services, and legal services.
Our affiliates: we may disclose your personal data to our affiliates in order to provide you with tailored services and communications, or in accordance with our business administrative practices.
Commercial transactions: we may disclose some or all of your personal data to financial institutions, shipping carriers, postal services or government entities in connection with consummating certain commercial transactions.
Corporate transactions or events: we may disclose your personal data to a third party in connection with a corporate reorganization, merger, joint venture, sale, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our investments, business or equity. We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that any successor entity treat your personal information in accordance with this notice after the transaction is completed. However, we encourage you to review the privacy notice again after any such transaction is completed because we cannot guarantee that these new parties will have the same privacy policies after the transaction is completed.
Legal reasons: we may use or disclose your personal data as appropriate under applicable laws; to respond to requests from public, governmental; and regulatory authorities; to comply with court orders, litigation procedures, and other legal processes; to obtain legal remedies or limit our damages; to protect the operations of our group entities; and to protect the rights, safety, or property of our employees, you, or others.
International transfers of personal data
Some of our group entities and service providers are located outside of the European Economic Area. Accordingly, if you are in the European Economic Area, please note that we will transfer your personal data to such countries in accordance with applicable data protection law requirements. Such transfers may also be necessary in order to perform a contract with you/fulfill your request and/or through obtaining your affirmative consent.
What Rights Do You Have with Respect to Your Personal Data?
You have the following rights with respect to the personal data you provide to us, to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws:
- Withdrawal of Consent: If consent is the lawful basis of our processing, you have the right to withdraw any consent that you have provided to us to process your personal data.
- Access: You have the right to access your personal data.
- Rectification: You have the right to rectify inaccurate personal data.
- Erasure: You have the right to have your personal data erased if it is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was processed, you have withdrawn your consent to, or object to, its processing and there is no other legitimate grounds for processing it or you consider that it has been unlawfully processed.
- Restriction: You have the right to have the processing of your personal data restricted if you contest its accuracy, its processing is unlawful, we no longer need it but you need it for a legal claim, or you have objected to its processing and await verification of our legitimate grounds for processing it.
- Data Portability: You have the right to have certain personal data you provide to us transferred to another company in a machine-readable format.
- Objection: You have the right to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your personal data for certain purposes.
In order to exercise any of these rights, or for more information, please use the contact details specified in Section 1 above. Please note that these rights are subject to certain preconditions and qualifications under applicable law.
For How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data?
We retain your personal data only for as long as is necessary for our relationship with you, in accordance with our retention policies, and in accordance with applicable laws. To determine the appropriate retention periods for personal data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, legal requirements, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means. In some circumstances, we may anonymize your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use the information without further notice to you.
Filing a complaint with an EU regulator
If you are in the EU, you may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority that has authority in your country or region.
Policy last updated: September 18, 2019